Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My Jeep

Well it was only a matter of time, but it finally happened, my wonderful Jeep decided it did not want to go on.

I was driving home from the suburbs when it happened. The engine started to become increasingly louder and louder the car began shaking and the interior lights were fading fast. As I tried to accelerate to make it off the highway nothing happened. The more I accelerated the more it slowed down so with its last bit of strength it was nice enough to get me to the side of the off ramp. That is where its last stop would be, the Kimball off ramp on 90/94. The car began smoking and there was a pungent smell all around. As I sat there on the side of the highway at 1:00 in the morning, my mind racing a million miles a minute, thinking about how hours from now I would be getting to work. Thinking, how would I be able to buy a car seeing as I am broke most of the time. Or whether I would have to rent a car for the rest of the week or get rides from co-workers. Suprisingly enough I had forgotten to worry about the immediate future, what was I going to do right then.

I did not even realize that as soon as I had pulled off the highway someone had pulled up next to me. I would have rolled down the windows, but obviously that didn't work. So I got out of my car went up to the man and he told me to try and make it to the end of the ramp where there was a gas station. I told him no way the car was dead. "what's wrong?" he asked, " It's dead, she isn't workin at all, it has a lot of miles (240,000 to be exact) and this is the end for her," out of no where he says, "alright then get in, where you going?" I told him and he was going some what near there so he gave me a ride. Man, I was lucky I would not know what to do sitting on the highway late at night with barely any money and no idea where I was in relation to public transportation.

So my car, my great car, my companion and friend who was always there for me (except when it would break down) is gone, its sad and can not be replaced, but I must move on. So I have a rental and am looking for another. I'll let you know what I get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louie, we'll all miss your Jeep sport and I hope that your new car treats you half as well as that little green bastard did. Is there some kind of memorial that we can have? Hey, look on the bright side...that car has smelled like crap for about 2 years. Hip hip hooray for a new rain-free interior

Anonymous said...

a sad sad day indeed.

Anonymous said...

Im sorry to hear, Lou...That story brought a tear to my eye, and i had to hide it because im at work and thats embarrassing....I lost my jeep about six months ago, and i know how that feels, I just hope everything works out for you.

-Bill